Super Bowl Sunday may look a little different this year, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy some great food! Michelle Wong of Sift & Simmer came up with this healthier version of taquitos – the perfect game day snack. The baked turkey and black bean taquitos are baked, not fried. Turkey is leaner than other choices so you can enjoy taquitos without the guilt. Liven up a weeknight meal too – why not try Taquito Tuesday for a change?
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Refried black bean:
-1 Tbsp avocado oil or any vegetable oil
-1 Tbsp white onion, diced
-1 can (14 oz) black beans (or any bean that you like) rinsed and drained
-½ lb ground turkey
-1 Tbsp avocado oil + 1 tsp for spraying the taquitos
-½ large white onion, diced
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 ½ Tbsp cumin powder
-1 tsp dried oregano
-¼ tsp dried thyme
-½ tsp garlic powder
-½ tsp chili powder (omit if you don’t like spicy)
-¼ tsp coriander powder
-½ tsp sea salt
-¼ tsp black pepper
-12 corn tortillas about 5-6″ in diameter
-ground turkey + black bean mixture (from above)
-2 cups shredded cheese
-pico de gallo (tomato salsa)
Make the refried black bean:
- Heat 1 Tbsp of avocado oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add in 1 Tbsp diced white onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, until lightly softened.
- Add in the drained black beans. Reduce the heat.
- Sauté the beans with the onion for 1-2 minutes, until heated through.
- Smash the beans with the back of a spatula, or potato masher, until it reaches the consistency of refried beans. It should be thick and hold together. Remove the bean mixture from heat. Cover and set aside.
Make the ground turkey:
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. (You can use the same pan from making the beans).
- Add in 1 Tbsp of avocado oil.
- Next, add in the diced onion and garlic. Sauté until the onions soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground turkey and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add in the spices: 1 Tbsp cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano, ¼ tsp dried thyme, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp chili powder (if using), ¼ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper.
- Stir and sauté the turkey mixture until aromatic, another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the reserved black bean mixture and incorporate together with the turkey. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lightly dampen a paper towel with water.
- Place a stack of 3 corn tortillas on the plate. Cover with the damp paper towel.
- Place the tortillas into the microwave for about 40 seconds, until steaming hot.
- Working quickly, sprinkle a little cheese at the bottom and the top of the corn tortilla.
- Add about 2 Tbsp of turkey/bean filling over top of the cheese on the bottom of the tortilla — lengthwise, leaving a little gap at the edges.
- Roll tightly and let it sit seam-side down on a baking tray.
- Repeat with the remainder.
- Lightly spray the tops with a little avocado or vegetable oil.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake the taquitos at 400°F for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden and crisp.
- Serve warm with shredded lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, and pico de gallo if you wish.
Taquitos can be individually frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
To reheat, bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, until heated through.
Recipe courtesy of Think Turkey.