We are now heading to the pink beaches of Bermuda to try the Fish Sandwich on Raisin Bread for our next stop on Traveling Taste Buds. Bermuda lets you explore a unique island culture that is a short 2 hour and 44 minute flight away from Toronto. It is just slightly over a 2.5 hour flight from Montreal. The mid-Atlantic island is packed with things to do and places to explore. People who love the water can enjoy sailing or shipwreck diving. Explore ancient caves and subterranean lakes. Enjoy the rich history of the island, watch the Gombey dancers or enjoy some great food. The possibilities are endless.
The fish sandwich is a staple in the island’s food culture. This delicious version is from Bermy Eats’ found in Hamilton, Bermuda. The sandwich is filled with fresh ‘white fish’ fillet, usually snapper, wahoo or rockfish (grouper), which are all native to Bermuda’s waters. The raisin bread satisfies the sweet-savoury taste profile preferred by most Bermudians. Jaelen Steede of Bermy Eats’ said,
I love this dish because it’s comforting, simple and has EVERYTHING you want in one bite!
- 1 egg
- 1/4cup milk
- 2tbsp old bay seasoning
- 2tsp onion powder
- 2tsp garlic powder
- 2tsp black pepper
- 1tsp Salt
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Vegetable oil
- 2 slices of your choice of bread
Tartar sauce dressing:
- 2tbsp Relish
- 4tbsp Mayo
- Hot sauce or chili sauce
- Cut your two fillets in decent size pieces (big enough to fit on your bread).
- In an appropriate sized mixing bowl. Place fish, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and salt.
- Mix until combined and evenly coated.
- Add in eggs and milk and mix to combine, set aside.
- In a separate small bowl mix together the relish and mayo until combined.
- Add in hot sauce as desired.
- In a small sauce pan add oil. Place on medium heat.
- Put flour in a shallow baking dish. Take fish and place in flour and cover evenly on all sides. Take floured fish and place in oil let cook for 5-10mins or until golden brown. Remove and let drain on a plate lined with paper towel.
- To serve. Toast two slices of (raisin) bread.
- Put a generous portion of fried fish fillet on on slice of bread.
- Add tartar sauce
- Top with fish lettuce and tomatoes. ENJOY!
Follow BermyEats Café on Instagram @bermyeatscafe