We are back with Traveling Taste Buds and this time we are in The County of Lennox & Addington (L&A County) on the hunt for lemon squares. Abrams Bakery in Newburgh, Ontario have some of the best around. Abrams Bakery is a small bakery and lunch spot where everything is made from scratch. The bakery has been family owned and operated since 2013, and makes a selection of sandwiches, pizzas, sweets and breads fresh daily. It is must do in L&A County.
L&A County stretches from Lake Ontario to the rugged, rocky terrain of the Canadian Shield. The County is 2,777 square kilometre in area and 130 kilometres long. Peppered with lakes and forests, this region is a popular recreational area for geocaching to motorcycling and stargazing. Newburgh is a great stop, 35 kilometres east of Kingston. Stop at Abrams Bakery if you are there.
Owner Donna Abrams shared the recipe for the bakery’s delicious lemon squares. Try this citrusy favourite. It will be a hit!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup melted butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Line 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, icing sugar and butter in mixing bowl using a pastry bender.
- Press into bottom of lined pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350.
- While cust is cooking combine ingredients for filling in a bowl and whisk together for 3 minutes.
- Pour mixture over crust as soon as it comes out of the oven then return pan
- to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Rotate pan and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar.