Enjoy these veggie burgers anytime of year. They are nutritious and delicious. Add them to your Meatless Monday menu – we promise you and your family will love them. They are a different take on traditional veggie burgers and are meant to be eaten without a bun.
- 12 Prunes
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp. (45 mL) pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped
- 1 can (540 mL/19 fl.oz ) kidney beans or white navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 Tbsp. (60 mL) rolled oats
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Flax seeds
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- 1/2 tsp. (3 mL) chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) cocoa powder
- dash Worchestershire Sauce (optional)
- black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. (60 mL) sesame seeds for coating the burgers (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) vegetable oil
- In a blender, blend prunes with egg to make a purée.
- In a fry pan, heat oil and cook onions and garlic for 2 mins. Add pumpkin seeds and cook for 1 more min.
- In a large bowl mash beans with a fork.
- Add remaining ingredients (except oil and sesame seeds) and combine thoroughly using a metal spoon.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes until the mixture becomes firm.
- Divide mixture and shape into 8 patties.
- Place sesame seeds in a small dish and place each pattie into dish coating each side; set aside.
- In same fry pan, heat oil and saute burgers on medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side. Burgers should be crispy on the outside and cooked through.
*Recipe courtesy of California Prunes