These energy bars are delicious and a quick source of energy. They also make a tasty afternoon snack. The prunes add a touch of chewy sweetness to the energy bars.
Make 12 bars
- 1 cup (250mL) Californian Prunes, chopped
- 2 ¼ cups (550 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) old fashioned rolled oats
- 4 Tbsp. (60 mL) sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) maple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease and line the bottom of a 9 in. (23 cm) square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Place the California Prunes in a food processor or blender with 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) water. Process until pureed. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, oats, sunflower seeds and salt.
- In a saucepan, over low heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and syrup.
- Pour butter mixture into mixing bowl with dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the cake pan.
- Spoon prune purée, carefully spreading it over oat mixture with a knife until the base is completely covered. Cover prune layer with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden on top.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into 12 squares, with a sharp knife. Continue cooling in pan, before removing. They can keep in an airtight container for a week.
*Recipe Courtesy of California Prunes