We are continuing the All-Canadian version of Traveling Tastebuds recipes to celebrate Canada Day with. We are still enjoying delicious recipes from Calgary. This time it’s a fresh, summer friendly Asparagus and Fennel Salad from Yakima Social Kitchen + Bar at Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel.
The beautiful Canmore Mountains are less than a 90-minute ride away from Calgary, this hotel is ideally located. Whether you are at the hotel for business or pleasure try Chef Eric Beaupré’s Asparagus and Fennel Salad. It’s perfect with your meal.
Until you are able to try the Asparagus and Fennel Salad, we have the recipe for you:
- PREP TIME: 20
- COOK TIME: 6
- TOTAL TIME: 26 MINUTES
- YIELD: 4-6
Crunchy and fresh, this fennel asparagus salad pairs well with grilled fish, chicken or tofu. Also delicious on a bed of spring greens with cucumber and radishes. A vegan salad that can be made ahead and holds well in refrigerator for several days.
- 1 large leek ( white parts only)
- 1/3 cup olive oil ( divided)
- 1 large fennel bulb (yielding about 2 cups)
- 4-6 large asparagus stalks (larger stalks can be more tender and juicier) about 1cup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme (or substitute regular thyme)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/2– 1 avocado, sliced
- Thinly slice the tender white part of the leek in half circles. Add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil to a cold sauté pan. Turn burner on to medium and add the leeks. Sauté until wilted and just starting to turn golden on the edges, about 6 minutes. Add a pinch of salt to the leeks and set aside to cool.
- Core and shave the fennel bulb with a mandolin, peeler, or sharp knife, into very thin slices. Slice the asparagus diagonally at similar thickness to the fennel, discarding tough ends.
- In a large bowl, add lemon thyme, lemon juice, salt, pepper, coriander and whisk in remaining olive oil. Add the sautéed leeks, sliced asparagus and fennel. Toss to thoroughly incorporate dressing.
- Add avocado slices and toasted almonds to serve.
If making ahead, add the avocado right before serving. This will keep up to 3 days in the fridge.