This root to stem recipe is all about beets! Sushi rice and beets pulse together to create a stunning and delicious gluten-free flatbread. Layer with store-bought or homemade hummus and toppings that include the beet leaves and stems. We dare you to beat this.
- 1 bunch of beets with tops, about 3 large
- 4 cups (1L) cooked U.S. sushi rice
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 mL) flax meal
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) garlic hummus
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded smoked cheddar
- ½ cup (125 mL) sliced Kalamata olives
- 2 cups (500 mL) halved grape tomatoes
- Reserved beet leaves and stems (*see below)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
*Remove leaves and tender stems from beets and soak in a bowl of cold water to crisp.
Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wrap each beet in foil and roast in oven for 1 hour.
- Let cool enough to handle; rubbing the skins away using gloved hands.
- Pulse beets in a food processor until finely chopped; add rice and pulse to combine.
- Scrape mixture into a bowl and stir in eggs, flax meal, oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture between 2 parchment-lined baking sheets; spreading each into ¼-inch (5 mm) thick oval flatbreads.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until breads are lightly golden on the bottom. (If desired, flatbreads can be cooled, tightly wrapped and frozen at this point for future use.)
- Spread each flatbread with ½ cup (125 mL) hummus, divide and sprinkle evenly with cheddar, olives, and tomatoes.
- Return flatbreads to oven, lined with just the parchment (no baking sheets) to crisp.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly and flatbread bottoms are crisp.
Meanwhile, dry and thinly slice beet greens; toss with oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Sprinkle on flatbreads just before serving.