I love the smell of apple cinnamon. It instantly reminds me of my childhood when my mother would be baking in the kitchen after school and the aromas made me feel all warm and cozy. With fall fast approaching, I have created these delicious Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies that will bring that same feeling to you! They are so chewy and have chunks of apples that seriously hit the spot. They are also drizzled with a beautiful maple icing. They are so good you may even want to have them for breakfast. Happy Baking!
- 2 cups of quick oats
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar (or light brown sugar)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup finely diced apple
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Icing: 2 ½Tbsp. maple syrup and 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Set out a baking sheet lined with parchment paper on it.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together; rolled oats, flour, baking powder and spices.
- In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together; egg, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the apples and walnuts. Mix together gently. The dough should be thick and sticky.
- Scoop out cookies onto a baking sheet and press down to slightly flatten out the batter. Leave about 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake for about 14-15 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before adding the icing.
- To make icing whisk together maple syrup and icing sugar. Drizzle all over the tops of the cookies. Let sit for another 10 minutes and enjoy!