DIVINE X Dole Canada
All parents want their children to start the school year off right. That means making sure that they get enough rest, have a balance of activity and screen time and of course have nutritious meals to give them the energy that they need. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford nutritious food. Dole Foods of Canada recently launched “Sunshine For All”, an important campaign that will help provide all Canadians with an equal opportunity to nutritious food. Take a look at the program and tips on how you can encourage your kids to bring a little sunshine into the lives of others.
Sunshine for All
As a company, Dole’s mission is to provide everyone with an equal opportunity to nutritious food. Dole has a history of living up to this mission, and this campaign is no different. To inspire Canadians to include nutritious food in their daily lives, Dole Foods Canada partnered with Chef Cory Vitiello, a long-time supporter of healthy eating programs for kids and families.
“With many families preparing meals together every day, it’s important to include nutritious foods, like Dole Canned Pineapple and Dole Fruit Bowls with options like Dole Mandarin Oranges and Dole Diced Peaches,” says Chef Cory Vitiello, “These pantry staples not only save you prep time, but also provide a great base for fun summer treats like my Pineapple & Coconut Chia Seed Pudding, Peach, Kale & Yogurt Frozen Pops and Soba Noodle & Mandarin Orange Bowl”.
Until August 31, for every recipe image featuring Dole product shared on social media using the hashtag — #Dolesunshineforall, Dole Foods Canada will donate $1, to a maximum of $10,000 to Food Banks Canada. These funds will help support families in-need.
“We want to see how you are bringing some sunshine into your day and hope you will share images of you and your family enjoying your Dole creations on social media,” says Jerry Mancini, Vice President and General Manager of Dole Foods of Canada Company.
According to a poll on Psychology Today*, 95% of Moms said it was very important to them that their child understand about giving back to their community. The other 5% said it was important but not a top priority. Not one person said that it wasn’t important. The challenge for many parents is where to start. There are literally hundreds of ways to guide your children and help them spread sunshine, but we narrowed it down to these tips:
Clothing, Toy and Book Donations
Not everybody can afford to provide financial support, but everyone has to clean their house. Take some time with your child to go through clothing that doesn’t fit them anymore. Be clear with them that the clothing will go to other little boys and girls just like them who may not be able to afford new clothes. Make sure that all of the clothing is washed and checked for damage before you donate the items.
Children also outgrow books and toys, but may be resistant to giving them up. Don’t do these items on the same day as the clothing. The day that you are decluttering the books and toys, get them involved in the process. Let them pick an item that they no longer want and add it to the pile, then let them keep selecting items. If they are having challenges, remind them that they have plenty of toys and books, and that some children aren’t as lucky, especially if they no longer use the items.
Donate to a Food Bank
If you can afford to, buy some extra canned goods like Dole canned pineapples, peaches or fruit bowls and other non-perishable items to donate to a food bank. Have your children “shop your pantry” for the items to donate. As a family, drop off the donations to a local food bank, you can find them on Food Banks of Canada’s website. Once things normalize, you may even want to volunteer together as a family for a day.
It is important to give back to the community, but it is also important to give back to the Earth. Let them help sort things that you will be recycling and explain why it’s so important. Re-use items like paper towel rolls for craft-time and explain why it’s important to re-use items too.
Kindness rocks have brought sunshine into people’s lives, especially this year. Have your children paint the rocks and take them for a walk around the neighbourhood or to a park. If you have a neighbour that needs a little extra support, make them a personal kindness rock and leave it for them to find.
Write a Thank You Note
It may seem old-fashioned, but people love receiving notes or even special drawings. You can mail it to a friend or family member who has done something thoughtful for your child. Encourage them to write a thank you to a former teacher or someone that has had a positive impact on their lives.
These ideas are just a few ways that you can encourage your children to be kind to others and give back. We want to hear your ideas too!
*Psychology Today, February 19, 2019, Alison Escalente, MD