A sweet crumble topping and blueberry apple sauce mixed into the batter make these muffins a cut above your standard store-bought variety.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) wheat germ
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 containers Mott’s Fruitsations Unsweetened Blueberry Fruit Snack (each container is 111g)
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 mL) wheat germ
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) blueberries
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly oil or coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
To make the topping, combine the flour, wheat germ, and brown sugar in a bowl. Add the oil and stir until the dry ingredients are well coated with the oil. Set aside.
Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
Combine the eggs, fruit snack cups, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla in a separate bowl and whisk until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Gently stir in the blueberries.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Arrange the topping evenly over the muffins, using the back of a spoon to gently press the topping into the batter. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until the topping is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes 12 servings.