Traveling Taste Buds is back with the perfect cocktail recipe for the long weekend. Strawberry Shine-o-colada from Wilke’s County, North Carolina’s Copper Barrel Distillery will hit the spot! It is made with strawberry moonshine which is a mainstay in the American South. According to tastingtable.com, moonshine can be defined as, ” a homemade, unaged whiskey, marked by its clear color, corn base and high alcohol content—sometimes peaking as high as 190 proof. Traditionally, it was produced in a homemade still and bottled in a mason jar.”
Wilke’s County is known as the “Moonshine Capital of America” and is also an up and coming wine region. Copper Barrel Distillery makes their moonshine with a blend of rye, corn and cane sugar making it smoother than the original version. That’s why it is the perfect base for the Strawberry Shine-o-colada. Once we are able to travel again, put Copper Barrel on your must visit list. It features a large selection of local beer, wine and spirits. You can book a Distillery Tour and Tasting too.
Until you can visit North Carolina, here is the recipe for Strawberry Shine-o-colada:
- 1½oz. Strawberry Moonshine
- 1 ½ oz. Cream of Coconut
- 1½oz. Pineapple Juice
- ¾ oz. Lime Juice (ReaLime)
- ½ oz. Grenadine (Roses)
- Add Moonshine, Coconut Cream and Juices to a cocktail shaker half filled with ice and shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Strain into a highball glass filled with fresh ice.
- Drizzle with grenadine and garnish with a pineapple wedge & moonshine soaked strawberry.