Egg and spinach hand pies look impressive, but our time saving trick is to use ready made puff pastry. The hand pies are delicious for breakfast, a Meatless Monday dinner or as a brunch dish. It will look like you spent all day on them, but they take under and hour to make. Enjoy!
Serving: 8 pies
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
2 sheets thawed puff pastry
4 tsp. (20 mL) vegetable oil
1 ½ cups (375 mL) diced mushrooms
6 slices Yves Veggie Bacon Strips, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup (250 mL) chopped rapini, stems removed
1 cup (250 mL) chopped baby spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup (250 mL) finely grated cheddar cheese
¼ cup (60 mL) milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk one egg and 1 tsp. of water creating your egg wash; set aside.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp. vegetable oil, mushrooms, bacon and garlic, cook for 8 minutes. Stir in rapini and spinach cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in ¾ cup of cheese, salt and pepper.
- In a medium size bowl whisk 4 eggs with milk.
- In a small sauté pan add 1 tsp. of vegetable oil over medium heat; add egg mixture. Using a spatula gently fold eggs until you have a soft scramble, about 5 minutes. Gently fold eggs into mushroom and bacon mixture.
- Unroll pastry sheets and cut each pastry sheet into four squares. Spoon ¼ cup of the mushroom mixture into the center of each pastry square. Gently fold each pastry corner towards the center pinching ends of the pastry together, creating a square parcel.
- Transfer each parcel to prepared baking tray. Use a pastry brush to spread egg wash over pastry. Sprinkle the tops of pastry with reserved ¼ cup of cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until pastry if puffed and golden brown. Serve warm or on the go for a quick easy breakfast.
For a vegan alternative, replace cheese with vegan cheese and milk with a non-dairy milk of your choice. As an egg wash substitute, use any oil or plant-based milk. In place of the egg mixture, substitute with a tofu scramble.