Looking for a light, sweet treat this summer? We have an amazing classic recipe that can brighten anyone’s day and looks like a little ray of sunshine. Our Lemon Meringue Pie is packed with creamy tart lemon flavour. Trust me, your family will be thoroughly impressed. The topping tastes like soft clouds of goodness.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of shortening
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. of water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp. of butter
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
- 4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 3 tbsp. icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 475 Degrees (Fahrenheit)
- Mix flour, coconut sugar and salt together.
- Mix shortening and flour mixture together in a food processor. Make sure the batter is mixed thoroughly together.
- Add water and lemon juice into dough. Roll into a ball and set in fridge to chill for 2 hours.
- Sprinkle flour on table surface. Remove dough from fridge and roll out onto table with rolling pin.
- Dust 9” pie pan with flour and place over pan, removing any excess dough. Prick bottom of the crust with a fork. Bake dough in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside on the counter.
- In a bowl, mix together sugar and cornstarch. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and set aside. Place the sugar mixture in a saucepan over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Bring to a boil for 1 minute. Next, stir in eggs yolks and bring that to a boil. Add in remaining the ingredients – water, lemon zest, juice and butter. Mix thoroughly. Stir and pour into the cooled pie crust.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until it reaches a foamy consistency. Slowly add in both sugars until the mixture becomes stiff. Finally, beat in vanilla. Spoon the topping onto hot pie crust filling.
- Reduce heat of the oven to 400 degrees and bake until the topping is light brown. Remove from the oven and let cool in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- Optional: Garnish with candied lemon peel or zest.