- 2 large chicken breasts, skinned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup (1125 mL) plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) chili powder
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 metal skewers, at least 8 inches long
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled, and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 cup (250 mL) white or brown basmati rice
- 2 cups (500mL) chicken stock
- 6 California Prunes, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. (30mL) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
1.To prepare chicken skewers: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, turmeric, chili powder and lemon juice.
2. Divide chicken pieces equally and place on skewers. Set skewers in a wide dish and cover with marinade. Set aside.
3. To prepare the pilaf: In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat, add onion and saute until soft –about 5 min. Add ground coriander and ground cumin, stirring well to avoid sticking.
4. Add rice, and saute for about 1 min. before adding stock. Stir well, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Leave to cook over the heat. Cook for 10 min.then let sit for 2 to 3 more mins.
5. On hot oiled grill, place chicken skewers turning every 2 to 3 mins, for a total of 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from grill and set aside.
6. Add prunes, pistachio nuts and fresh herbs to rice and mix well.
7. Serve chicken skewers on top of pilaf and enjoy.
*Recipe courtesy of California Prunes