Paella is a classic Spanish dish that will win over any crowd! It is packed with tons of vegetables and is so rich in flavour. People will think you were in the kitchen preparing all day but this recipe is really so easy to make. The Arborio rice is perfect to absorb large amounts of broth and leaves a little more crunchy texture to the dish. Saffron is also an incredible ingredient that is full of antioxidants.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup of baby artichokes, drained and quartered
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups paella rice -Arborio rice,
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 2 cups Swiss chard
- 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika (smoked)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen peas
- Optional: 15 Shrimps, peeled and de-vein,
- Garnish: Sliced lemon wedges around the outside and sprinkle with chopped parsley
- Bring water to a boil in small saucepan. Add saffron, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onion and sauté until onion is golden, about 8 minutes. Add artichokes and garlic and sauté 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add rice and stir to coat with oil.
- Add veggie stock, swiss chard and tomatoes and bring to boil, stirring frequently. Add saffron water, paprika and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Optional * Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 garlic clove diced in medium sized pan for 2 minutes over medium heat. Add in shrimp. Cook until thoroughly pink and you see no more grey bits. Usually about 4-5 minutes.
- Mix peas into rice, cover and continue cooking mixture until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat. Add in shrimp into mixture. Let stand 5 minutes, add lemon wedges around outside and garnish with chopped parsley. And Enjoy!