Kale and brown rice are a match made in nutritional heaven. Toss in crunchy slivers of butternut squash and drizzle with this refreshing dressing for a delicious, impressive salad that is ideal for the summer or fall, lunch or dinner any day of the week.
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked U.S. brown rice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL)diced bell peppers
- 2 cups (500 mL)shredded kale
- 1 cup (250 mL)julienned butternut squash (uncooked)
- 1gala apple, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL)toasted slivered almonds
Fine Herb Vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp (45 mL)olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL)white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)each finely chopped basil, rosemary, thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)Dijon
- 1clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL)red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL)kosher salt and pepper
- Combine rice with bell peppers. Arrange rice, kale, butternut squash, and apple on a platter in diagonal rows. Top kale with almonds.
- Whisk together all ingredients for vinaigrette and spoon over salad just before serving.
*Courtesy of riceinfo.com