If you told me months ago that I would be replacing my beloved chicken tacos with jackfruit, I would have thought you were crazy! This recipe is so delicious that you won’t even miss the real thing. Jackfruit can be really sticky if you are peeling and preparing it yourself. Using pre-packaged cans work best and is less messy. This recipe has the smokey, spicy flavour that I crave. Add in toppings that you love and your next Taco Tuesday will never be the same!
- 1 can of young jackfruit in brine
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil (Can be heated up to a 500F smoke point)
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2-3 crushed cloves of garlic (depending on how garlicky you like it!)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 2 tbsp of tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- ½ cup of veggie stock
- 1 tsp of salt/pepper
- Juice of one lime
- 10 corn tortillas (wheat tortillas also work)
- 1 cup of shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of medium salsa (mild or hot available depending on your preference)
- 2 finely chopped green onions
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce or cabbage
- Optional topping: sour cream or cilantro on top
- Drain the jackfruit and remove the pointed ends off of each piece.
- Heat avocado oil in large skillet or pan. Add in chopped onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook over low/medium for 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add in jalapeno peppers and sauté for another 2 minutes
- Pull apart jackfruit to look like pulled chicken.
- Mix cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, tamari, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add seasoning to jackfruit and place in pan. Add in vegetable stock and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often and breaking down the jackfruit with a fork.
- While the jackfruit is cooking, prepare all your toppings and set aside.
- When all the liquid has been absorbed, remove from heat and place in serving bowl.
- Heat all your tortillas and serve with all of your favourite toppings.
This recipe pairs well with Tequila!