If you are loving the fresh produce this summer, and find it too hot to eat meat, this recipe is perfect! It is also ideal if you need to serve something for the vegetarians in your life. We love the earthy, meaty taste of the portobello mushrooms and the fresh produce, cheese and Hellmann’s makes them taste DIVINE!
Prep Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Hellmann’s® with Olive Oil ½ the Fat mayonnaise-type dressing
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, (about 3/4 lb/ 375 g)
- 2 red onions, cut into 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick rounds
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 large whole wheat pita breads
- In small bowl, combine Hellmann’s® Olive Oil, cheese, basil, garlic and salt; set aside.
- Season mushroom caps and onions, if desired, with salt and ground black pepper. Grill or broil mushroom caps and onions 8 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- To serve, arrange pita breads on serving plates. Evenly spread with 1/2 of the mayonnaise mixture, then top with lettuce, mushroom caps, tomato, hot onion and remaining mayonnaise mixture.
For more recipes, visit Hellmann’s website.